Job Title: Minister of Local and Global Missions
Desert Springs Church (DSC) is looking for a man to lead our congregation in gospel-spreading locally and globally.
DSC has three well established global core missions initiatives. Each of these initiatives is really a partnership and adoption of a people group. By adopting three people groups, the elders have strategically limited the breadth of our global missions initiatives for the sake of increasing its depth.
The Missions Director will lead and strengthen these core global initiatives: church planting in North Africa, pastor training and Community Health Evangelism (CHE) among the indigenous Mayan Rabinal Achi people of central Guatemala, ministry among the Native American tribes of New Mexico and Arizona.
On the local front, he will cultivate a culture of life-on-life evangelism, and help connect our membership with gospel opportunities in partnership with area partner ministries. DSC has room to grow in these areas and therefore is looking for a man to lead out by example, teaching, and equipping.
See here for an overview of our local and global missions initiatives:https://www.desertspringschurch.org/ministries/missions
Here are a few bullets to clarify the type of man we're looking for:
- Character: He must meet the biblical qualifications for an elder outlined in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1. Although this is not an elder position, we would want any candidate to aspire to eldership. Read more about DSC's leadership structure here: http://www.desertspringschurch.org/about/leadership/.
- Theology: Baptistic with reformed soteriology, and resonates with the distinctives and ethos of ministries/networks like DG, T4G, TGC, 9Marks, etc. Has a theologically robust understanding of conversion and evangelism and resonates with the writings of Mac Stiles, David Platt, John Piper, Mark Dever, Kevin DeYoung, etc. Sees church planting as central to local and global missions since churches are at the center of God’s plan: through the gospel God creates his church, and through churches God spreads his gospel.
- Experience: A background of ministry in the church and abroad (eg. Long-term and/or short-term missions leadership) that reflects a concern for life-on-life evangelism and God’s global gospel work. Also, because of the nature of his work, this man will also need a demonstrated capacity to plan, administrate, and lead teams and projects. The ability to speak Spanish will be a great asset given our work in Guatemala, but it is not required. Most important is a background in cross-cultural gospel work.
- Approach to ministry: Resonates with the following quotes, articles and books with relation to philosophy of missions ministry:
- “Why Less Is More in Missions” (https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/why-less-is-more-in-missions1)
- “Why Your Church Should Support Fewer Missionaries” (https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/why-your-church-should-support-fewer-missionaries)
- What Is the Mission of the Church?: Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission by Kevin DeYoung
- Let the Nations Be Glad!: The Supremacy of God in Missions by John Piper
- The Gospel and Personal Evangelism by Mark Dever
- Education: Ideally seminary trained, though not required.
- Marriage/Children: Ideally married and a father, but this is also not required.
- Career Goal: Looking for someone who sees himself either on the mission field or mobilizing the church for global missions and local evangelism.
Information about the Church: DSC is a non-denominational, baptistic church of about 550 members and 550-650 adults in attendance on an average Sunday, happily aligned with The Gospel Coalition and functions as a hub for an area chapter of TGC.
Please contact Trent Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org